Hi friends! I’ve got a new short episode up on the podcast this morning. I rarely do solo episodes, so please let me know if you enjoyed this one! If you like them, I can post a bit more frequently since it’s just me.
Resources from the episode:
Click here to get 30 days FREE of Les Mills On Demand. I love this platform for at-home workouts and they have such a great variety of different formats. I highly recommend BODYPUMP, BODYCOMBAT, BODYATTACK, and CXWORX. Click here to get your trial!
Thank you so much for listening and for all of your support with the podcast! Please leave a rating or review if you enjoyed this episode. If you leave a rating, head to this page and you’ll get a little “thank you” gift from me to you.
You can listen and subscribe to the podcast on iTunes, Stitcher, and Google Play.
I didn’t download a full transcript for this episode, but jotted down some notes after recording.
5 simple ways to cultivate joy and care for yourself during this time
1. Stay in your own lane. I’m a true believer that comparison is the thief of joy and it’s so easy to feel frustrated right now by what others are doing, and comparing yourself. For example, I see people who are still rocking their online businesses and I feel like I’m dangling by a thread – so much of my day is dedicated to navigating Liv’s distance learning schedule and assignments. I literally watch my inbox build and explode each day and right now, there’s not a lot I can do about it. Instead of panicking, I’ve tried to be really strategic with the small time pockets I do have and just try to show myself grace. Things are challenging, and if you’re having a hard time right now, I see you and I’m right there with you. At the end of the day, all we can really focus on is ourselves and our own families. Try to avoid comparison right now, especially with careers or goals that you’ve set. Everything has shifted and we’re all forced to just adapt and do the best we can.
2. Eat the cupcake, drink the wine. Under normal circumstances, I think it’s important to pay attention to hunger levels and how you’re feeling, but right now, I’m all about taking any step that will bring me a small amount of joy. I’ve had way more sugar in the past 6 months than I have in a long time, and I’ve had a bit more wine. Just do the things that make you happy!
3. Take breaks. I try to remind myself that it’s not the end of the world when Liv misses a class, or we end up skipping an assignment to make up later. Sometimes she’s so fried from the screen time that we both need a break, and I give her time to run around outside and we go for a walk. Don’t be afraid to take breaks for yourself, even if they’re small. I also wanted to tell you guys about basking, which is a technique I learned from my therapist (<— I should ask her to be on the show!) Basking is paying attention to tiny details to become present and enjoy the current moments.
4. Pay attention to sleep and hydration. These are two things that make a significant impact on how I feel, so I’ve been focused on cultivating a true sleep routine and drinking enough water each day. Aim to drink at least half your body weight in ounce each day, and for sleep, find your magic number. For me, it’s a solid 8 hours and I feel rested and energized. So many restorative processes occur when we have quality sleep, so it’s a nourishing step we can take for ourselves during such a crazy time. Sleep can also affect our immune system; poor sleep can cause us to be more likely to become sick if exposed, and can also affect our recovery rate. As far as hydration goes. it can impact our huger levels, joint and eye lubrication, digestion, our skin, circulation, transporting nutrients, and maintaining body temperature.
5. Take time every day for something you enjoy, even if it’s just 5 minutes. This can be a book, a show, a short walk, meditation, a stretch or foam roll, a dance party, a call or porch visit with someone you love, doodling, journaling, hand knitting, anything that you enjoy that can serve as a reset and a happy distraction.
I’d love to hear about how you’re navigating this time and anything you’re doing to spark a tiny bit of joy right now.
To bring an extra little joy to this post, how about a Beautycounter giveaway? Leave a comment below and I’ll pick a lucky winner to receive a Vitamin C serum, charcoal mask, and some of my favorite healthy treats. I’ll announce this winner in this week’s Friday Faves post.
The post 062: 5 simple ways to cultivate joy and care for yourself during this time appeared first on The Fitnessista.